• Saturday, August 21, 2004

    Revisiting Four Feathers

    Where have I been the last month?
    Well, for one thing I've been reading! My initial post was based on a recent viewing of the Four Feathers movie.

    The book, however, is quite another experience. As the foreword by a literary critic says, there are no battle scenes in the book. Its structure is that of a late Victorian romance and so it is.
    He, A.E. Mason, was also a playwright and it shows. I'd like to see the book done as a play (the crowd scene in prison would be the most challenging!)

    It's basically a romance, a mystery solved by a blind sleuth to his own detriment, yet freeing all concerns from a life of regret. And of course like I said in my review of the movie " But it also examines the nature of loyalty and courage... it is in essence examining the code of honor of the British empire. Do we have a similar code of honor as a people, should we? What obligations do individuals have to a nation, to friends and family in setting of strong cultural bonds?

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home